Account-Based Marketing Tactics, Examples & Strategy
Account-based marketing (ABM) is a popular marketing strategy in which a business focuses on a set of target accounts within a particular market. ABM helps companies to adopt a laser-targeted approach and unify the marketing and sales processes. Businesses can make more profits by targeting high-value clients and getting more conversions. According to Tribal Impact, 87% of companies say that ABM delivers a higher ROI than all other types of marketing. Terminus.com has reported that 94% of B2B marketers use ABM!
So, what is this marketing strategy, and why are decision-makers interested in ABM? Let’s learn more about account-based marketing with examples, tactics, and strategies.
What is account-based marketing?
Account-based marketing is a marketing strategy that targets and engages with specific high-value accounts or customers instead of targeting a broad audience section. This marketing approach identifies high-quality leads or prospects and engages them with customized messages to get a response from them. Each account is treated as a ‘market of one,’ and customized marketing efforts are used for each account.
Companies use personalized campaigns and content marketing to get high conversions. They rely on custom messages based on the characteristics of the specific account to create a personal bonding with the target audience using different tactics. The process focuses on unifying marketing and sales, enabling companies to generate revenue and drive more sales. The success of account–based marketing thrives on personalized messages and offering a better customer engagement process.
How to create a solid account-based marketing strategy?
- Determining target accounts: Identifying target accounts is the first step in creating an account-based marketing plan. A business must understand the customer segment likely to bring them more revenue. Customer segmentation based on factors such as industry, location, age, gender, pricing points, etc., can help the business categorize customers. Companies need to identify the pain points of these accounts and create campaigns that present the business as the perfect solution to address them. It lays the groundwork for setting up customized campaigns targeting specific accounts.
- Personalized engagement: Account-based marketing techniques aim to offer personalized customer engagement and get the best results. According to Forrester, marketers strongly agree that personalized content (56%) and advanced data management (43%) are keys to ABMs’ success.
- Businesses can create emails, landing pages, and social media content that directly addresses the pain points of a specific customer account. The idea is to develop a sense of familiarity in the communication and immediately strike a chord with the customer group. The strategy involves creating customized messages and not relying on generalized statements for lead generation.
- Select appropriate channels: Businesses have identified and researched their target accounts at this stage. Now it’s time to select the best channels to engage them. They need to find where their target accounts are active and engage them on those particular channels. For instance, a company focusing on B2B lead generation can use email marketing and LinkedIn to initiate a conversation around the brand. They can invest in content creation and syndication to target the accounts. It will get the best results because the target audience is already there, and businesses can tap the opportunity to interact with them and convert them into their customers.
- Evaluate Results: It’s essential to gauge the feasibility of the account-based marketing campaign by measuring the results on various parameters. Businesses need to evaluate engagement and conversion rates. It must analyze the results to identify more profitable accounts and adopt the necessary measures to improve the results from low-result accounts. Implementing the learning will help the business to get a high ROI from account-based marketing.
What are the account-based marketing tactics?
There are various tactics involved in creating an effective account-based marketing strategy. If businesses are unfamiliar with them, they can outsource account-based marketing to experts. It would help them to get the best results and an opportunity to maximize revenue.
- Account profiling: It’s important to have defined account profiles. Identifying customer profiles makes it easy for the sales and marketing teams to curate the best strategies and personalized messages to get high conversions. It helps them deliver target messaging with customized offers that immediately attract the users’ attention. It allows businesses to provide the most relevant content experience and engage customers successfully.
- Custom content:The foundation of a successful ABM process is personalization. Create personalized content for each account and utilize it aggressively for engagement.
- Customized campaigns: Account-based marketing needs a personal touch in the campaigns to have the desired impact on the recipient accounts. Businesses can use email marketing, webinars, and event marketing to generate interest in the products and services.
- Unify sales and marketing:When the sales and marketing teams come together, they achieve tremendous success and get better conversion rates. All their efforts are directed at the selected accounts and converting the prospects into customers.
- Create valuable content: One of the critical tactics of account-based marketing is creating content that adds value to the readers’ perspective. Further, it must be syndicated on the proper channels to create thought leadership. It helps to build trust among the target audience and presents the business as a reliable service provider. White papers and case studies are good examples of content that helps a business stand apart from the crowd and connect with the target audience.
- Retargeting:Retargeting leads and urging them to make repeat purchases is vital. Display and social media ads act as gentle reminders to the customers and increase sales.
- Social media: Targeting accounts on social media like LinkedIn is a highly effective tactic of ABM. Companies can also use other social media sites like Facebook to connect with the targeted customer profiles.
- Paid ads:Paid advertising is another tactic that helps businesses generate high revenue from their sales and marketing efforts. The display ads are more effective as they are customized for specific groups of customers. Companies can use social media sites like LinkedIn and Facebook to target a particular group of customers which has the potential of garnering more responses.
Account-based marketing examples
- Adobe, computer software MNC, used ABM to target specific accounts of customers offering free trial of their software. The company created customized landing pages, email campaigns, and display ads to connect with them. It used LinkedIn’ to connect with decision-makers in their target accounts to increase sales. They connected with them, addressed their issues, and proposed the best solutions.
- Hewlett-Packard invested in creating valuable content and building thought leadership. It targeted the decision-makers of their target accounts and made them aware of their expertise and solutions. With ABM, the company got a revenue increase of $33 million!
- DocuSign, an e-transaction management solution, targeted customers from six diverse industries with ABM. The company offered personalized experiences using integrated segmentation and content targeting into its web platform. It created industry-specific content and increased its sales by 22%.
- Robin, a company selling conference room scheduling software and tools, used ABM to increase revenue. The company used mesmerizing office space pictures instead of software and tools. The experiment worked in the company’s favor. Their website traffic jumped by 50%, and it got a 20% increase in lead generation!
- GumGum, an applied computer vision company, closed many business deals with ABM. It printed and distributed 100 copies of a comic book called T-man and Gums to T-Mobile agencies. The company created brand awareness through storytelling. It made content that resonated with the target audience’s interest which helped them increase revenue.
Some Final Thoughts
Account–based marketing is an effective technique of lead generation. It assists in determining high-value accounts, gives your lead-generation process direction, and helps you generate more leads. Companies can get several benefits, like more conversions, brand awareness, and building thought leadership. Businesses can take the help of a B2B marketing company that offers account-based marketing services. The experts will help you select the best channels to reach out to prospects to drive more conversions. You can get help creating customized campaigns that resonate with the target accounts and enable you to get the desired response from them. They will also help gauge the effectiveness of the campaigns. You can identify the scope of improvement and get the best results.
Markable Solutions: An expert ABM provider
Account-based marketing helps businesses increase conversions, expand their customer base, and boost profitability. We are a leading B2B lead generation company offering account-based marketing that enables you to target specific accounts and get high conversions. We can help you streamline your B2B marketing, drive more sales and improve business growth. Rely on our expert team to create an effective account-based marketing (ABM) strategy to maximize revenue. If you want to learn more about us, feel free to visit https://www.markablesolutions.com/.